Faculty of Law News Archive
November 6, 2018 —
Reflecting on some of our alumni who served in the First World War and lived to become influential Manitobans
November 5, 2018 —
The Faculty of Law of the University of Manitoba is pleased to announce the first Master of Human Rights (MHR) graduate degree program to be offered in Canada
October 26, 2018 —
Since launching the first criminal law-focused special edition of the Manitoba Law Journal in the fall of 2017, the criminal law research cluster at the Faculty of Law, University of Manitoba – known as “Robson Crim” – has published over 30 refereed articles, partnered with nearly 40 academic peer collaborators, and become a hub for national Criminal Law research.
October 19, 2018 —
Sixteen teams of Robson Hall students competed in the thirteenth annual Robson Hall Negotiation Competition on the evening of October 18th, 2018. These third-year students were selected for having excelled in the Legal Negotiation course they took in their second year of law school. The main purpose of the competition is to develop superb negotiating skills in Robson Hall graduates. All legal training and professional expertise is directed toward one key objective—solving a client’s problems. Negotiation is the primary tool for accomplishing precisely that.
October 17, 2018 —
Graduating with an LL.M (Master of Laws) degree, Heather Fast has developed an interest in teaching.
October 12, 2018 —
Child welfare activist Dr. Cindy Blackstock received the Mahatma Gandhi Peace Award of 2018
October 9, 2018 —
Robson Hall will host the Federal Court of Canada on Wednesday, October 10, 2018. The Federal Court will sit and hear a real case in the Faculty of Law’s Moot Courtroom. Hearings of this nature are open to the public, with doors opening at 10:00 a.m. After the hearing, the presiding judge will hold a question and answer session. Wednesday’s hearing will consider an application for judicial review of a decision made by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada that rejected a claim for protection under the United Nations’ Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees.
October 9, 2018 —
2018 Mahatma Gandhi Peace Award ceremony takes place on Oct. 11
October 5, 2018 —
Without the University of Manitoba’s Faculty of Law, the Law Society of Manitoba wouldn’t have lawyers, and without the Law Society of Manitoba, there would be no place in Manitoba to license graduating law students for practice. It makes complete sense for the two organizations to work together regularly, and during the University of Manitoba’s Homecoming week Sept 24 to 30, 2018, the close relationship between the two couldn’t have been more clear.
October 5, 2018 —
“Sticking with the status quo is not an option.” Professor James Hathaway gave this critique of the global refugee system alongside a series of shocking statistics: 60 percent of the global refugee population live within 10 countries; the rich countries of the world spend more money to resettle just 10 percent of the global refugee population than the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) spends on the remaining 90 percent; and in some cases refugees wait 20 years (or more) for resettlement in a safe country. Clearly, something needs to change. Professor Hathaway’s thought-provoking and engaging lecture on September 13—part of the Distinguished Visitors (DV) Lecture Series at Robson Hall—sought to offer some suggestions as to what these changes could be.